CHAPTER 15: 5 Lessons I’ve Learned After 20 Years of Thrifting & Reimagining Wardrobes
5 Lessons I’ve Learned After 20 Years of Thrifting & Reimagining Wardrobes
This weekend I was recording some thoughts and found myself reflecting on what more than 20 years of thrifting has taught me.
I've always believed we tell people who we are long before we ever speak. The clothes we choose, the colors we gravitate toward, the pieces we can't stop reaching for... they're all little clues about who we are.
I know life gets busy. For many people, getting dressed has become another task to check off the list.
But I don't think style is about getting dressed up.
I think it's about getting dressed as yourself.
It's about wearing what makes you feel authentic in a world that keeps encouraging us to look like everyone else.
Here are five lessons I've learned from thousands of hours spent digging through thrift store racks.
1. A Closet Full of Basics Usually Creates Basic Outfits
Basics absolutely have their place. They're the foundation.
But statement pieces are where your personality lives.
They're the pieces that make someone stop and ask, "Where did you get that?"
They're conversation starters. They're confidence boosters. They're little reminders that getting dressed can actually be fun.
Choose pieces that make you smile, not just pieces that match everything.
2. Stop Looking Only for Designer Labels
One of the biggest mistakes I see people make while thrifting is chasing designer names.
Some of the best pieces I've ever found had no recognizable label at all.
"No name."
"Off brand."
"Vintage."
It never mattered. If it's beautifully made, fits well, or makes you excited to wear it, that's enough. And yes—I still thrift brands like Old Navy, Zara, and Anthropologie.
By the time those pieces reach a thrift store, the environmental impact has already happened. Giving them another life keeps them in circulation instead of heading to a landfill.
Sometimes the best find isn't the most expensive one.
It's the one everyone else walked past.
3. Style Isn't About Trends. It's About Recognition.
I didn't find myself scrolling Pinterest.
I found myself in thrift store racks.
That's where I discovered the silhouettes, colors, prints, and textures that actually felt like me.
Since then, I've leaned into it.
People often ask where I found something or tell me they love the way I put an outfit together.
That's the magic of dressing authentically.
Fast fashion can copy a trend.
It can't copy you.
4. The Unexpected Is Usually the Most Interesting
One of my favorite accidental discoveries happened while trying to make work clothes feel more like me.
I started pairing tailored trousers with thrifted band tees.
A little polished.
A little rebellious.
Somewhere along the way, I realized I'd stumbled into what I now call my version of tomboy chic.
I love combining pieces that don't seem like they belong together.
Because sometimes the best outfits happen when you stop following the "rules."
5. Every Secondhand Piece Brings a Different Story
This is why I love secondhand.
You're not shopping a single collection designed to be worn one way.
You're collecting pieces from different decades, different closets, and different stories.
That opens the door to combinations you simply won't find in a department store or next season's collection.
When every piece has lived a different life, your wardrobe starts telling yours.
And that's a story worth wearing.
I could happily spend all day reimagining outfits and creating new combinations. Unfortunately, life insists I have other responsibilities.
So instead, I'll keep sharing what I've learned along the way.
If there's one thing I hope you take from this, it's this:
Don't be afraid to stand out.
The most interesting thing you can wear has never been a trend.
It's authenticity.
Stay chic,
G


Comments
Post a Comment